Dr Sophie Chan, MBBS Hons 1, FRACP, MMed, PhD, is an experienced endocrinologist who is passionate about helping patients manage diabetes and other endocrine problems.
She offers a personalised and comprehensive approach that is based on the best scientific evidence. Patients find her approachable, professional and an excellent communicator. Sophie has two children, is a qualified yoga teacher and is committed to promoting healthy eating for children and adults. She is fluent in Cantonese.
Sophie was born in Hong Kong and educated in Sydney. She graduated from Medicine with First Class Honours (University of Sydney) and achieved First Place in Final Year Medicine.
During her Internship and residency at Concord Hospital, Sophie was awarded the prize for “Most Valuable Intern of the Year”. She undertook basic and advanced training in Endocrinology at Royal North Shore Hospital and is a fellow of the Royal Australian College of Physicians (RACP). Sophie was awarded a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) from the University of Sydney for her research in the field of growth factors, fat cells and diabetes at the Kolling Institute of Medical Research at Royal North Shore Hospital. She was awarded a Masters of Medicine in Clinical Epidemiology from the University of Sydney.
Sophie has published scientific papers in international medical journals such as Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Thyroid and American Journal of Physiology – Endocrinology and Metabolism and Diabetologia.
Sophie also completed Yoga teacher training at Samadhi Yoga, accredited by Yoga Alliance (RYT200).
Hormone Health and Diabetes education is primary to Dr Sophie Chan. Sophie is involved in teaching medical trainees, nursing and allied health staff. She also gives public seminars and workshops to GPs and patient groups. Talks include Insulin Pump Therapy (Australian Diabetes Council) and Yoga in Hormonal Health and Diabetes. She has also appeared on Chanel 7’s Live Well program. Dedicated to the care of patients with endocrine problems, Dr Sophie Chan has expertise and experience in the medical management of diseases of the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
Prizes and Scholarships
• Harry J Clayton Memorial Prize for Medicine and Clinical Medicine, University of Sydney
• Dagmar Berne Prize for Proficiency in Final Year, University of Sydney
• Robert Scot Skirving Memorial Prize for Medicine and Surgery, University of Sydney
• Westmead Hospital Association Prize for Final Year
• Summer Research Scholarship in Pathology, University of Sydney
• Young Investigator Award for best oral presentation at the Diabetes in Pregnancy Society Annual Scientific Meeting
• The Novartis Award for best oral presentation at the Endocrine Society of Australia (ESA) Annual Scientific meeting
• ESA Travel Grant
• ESA International Travel Grant
• National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Medical and Dental Postgraduate Scholarship
Address: 1 Railway Parade Burwood NSW 2134
Phone: 02 9016 4359