Risk factors for thyroid disease
The thyroid gland is a small structure in your neck that is responsible for making important hormones. Regulated thyroid hormone production ensures that your body functions properly and maintains a healthy metabolic rate.
Throat specialists in Sydney are able to assess risk factors and perform an exam to determine the underlying causes of your symptoms if you believe that you are suffering from a thyroid disorder.
There are a variety of factors that put an individual at higher risk for thyroid disorders.
A thyroid surgeon will factor in the following risk factors in addition to any symptoms that you may be experiencing when making a diagnosis:
- Patient has a family history of thyroid problems
- Patient has a family member who has another type of autoimmune disease
- Patient has another type of endocrine or pituitary disorder
- Patient has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome
- Patient has been exposed to radiation or chemicals such as fluoride or perchlorate
- Patient is over 60 years of age
- Patient has been treated with lithium
- Patient is female
- Patient has recently given birth
- Patient is a smoker
- Patient is near or going through menopause
In many cases, people do not know that they have a thyroid problem. Thyroid disorders cause a number of puzzling symptoms that can be misdiagnosed. For a proper diagnosis, it is a good idea to consult a throat specialist who has the experience necessary to properly diagnose any symptoms you are experiencing.
Symptoms such as chronic fatigue, neck discomfort or enlargement, changes in the quality of your hair or skin, diarrhea or constipation, muscle or joint pain, menstrual irregularities, infertility, depression or anxiety, unexplainable weight fluctuations, and high or unusually low cholesterol levels may be indicative of improper thyroid function.