Thyroid and parathyroid treatment, advice and surgery
The thyroid gland is small gland that weighs less than 50 grams in most adults. It is located towards the front of the neck. The thyroid gland or simply, the thyroid, is one of the largest endocrine glands. The thyroid gland is found in the neck, below the thyroid cartilage (which forms the laryngeal prominence, or Adam’s apple). Although small, it plays a large role in producing hormones that every cell in your body relies on for the proper conversion of calories and oxygen to energy. Balanced production of thyroid hormones ensures proper regulation of your body’s metabolic processes. When the thyroid gland is either overactive or underactive, a number of health issues can arise.
People with thyroid problems experience symptoms related to improper thyroid hormone production. It is important to be aware of these symptoms so that you can begin a suitable treatment plan if your thyroid gland is not functioning properly. At Thyroid Clinic Sydney, we are here to provide treatment solutions, advice and surgery options for all thyroid and parathyroid complications.
Please contact us to arrange a consultation to speak to us about any concerns or questions
you may have – Phone 1300 113 310
Dr Michael Barakate graduated from Medicine (UNSW) in 1996 and completed his Master of Surgery degree (U.Syd) in 2003. Michael’s surgical experience includes dual fellowships from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in General Surgery and Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
Dr Michael Barakate reviews and treats patients with thyroid and parathyroid problems including thyroid nodules and lumps, thyroiditis and Graves’ Disease, multinodular goitre, atypical thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer. We also see patients for the management of hyperparathyroidism and parathyroid adenoma.
Dr Barakate has an ongoing commitment to patient care, research and teaching in Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery. He has lectured and published medical literature widely in the field of thyroid and parathyroid surgery.
Patient Care Philosophy
I enjoy using my clinical and surgical abilities to restore the form and function of my patients and hopefully to maximise their quality of life.
- Macquarie University Hospital
- Prince of Wales Private Hospital
- Sydney West Area Health Service – Auburn Hospital
- MB BS, BSc (Med) – University of New South Wales (1996)
- Master of Surgery – University of Sydney (2003)
- Residency – Royal Prince Alfred Hospital 1996 – 1998
- General Surgery – Royal North Shore Hospital 1999 – 2002
- Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery – Sydney 2003, 2004, 2006
- ENT Specialist Registrar – Oxford, UK 2005
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Certification
- FRACS (General Surgery) 2003
- FRACS (Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery) 2006
- Head and Neck Surgery – Prince of Wales Hospital 2007 – 2008 (18 months)
- Head and Neck Oncology Surgery & Reconstruction – University of Michigan Hospital 2009 – 2010 (8 months)